PhD personal statement and resume
You should prepare your personal statement in advance to be uploaded into the online application via the application tab titled “Supplemental.” In review of your personal statement, the admissions committee will seek evidence of your maturity, leadership, strength of purpose, academic potential and ability to communicate clearly and professionally. Please be concise, yet thorough.
The statement should be no more than two to four pages long. Ensure the document file is not password protected and is in .doc, .pdf or .txt format. Please note that special fonts and/or formats (italics, bold, etc.) may be lost during submission. Be sure to carefully proofread your statement prior to submission.
Submission of the personal statement allows you an opportunity to highlight the qualities and experiences that distinguish you as a prospective W. P. Carey doctoral student. Applicants are requested to provide information pertaining to the following areas as part of their statement:
- Your name as it will appear on the ASU Graduate College application
- The ASU Application Reference Number assigned to you upon submission of your online application and/or your 10-digit ASU Identification Number
- Your personal background, including formative events and circumstances such as extracurricular activities, honors, achievements and community activities
- Work experience, including credentials you have from your hands-on and professional experiences
- Descriptions of the research projects you have conducted and your personal research interests
- Other personal attributes and qualities
- Qualifications and reasons for interest in the W. P. Carey PhD in business administration with a specialization in finance
- How obtaining a PhD will help you achieve your personal career goals and objectives
You should prepare your resume information in advance to be uploaded into the online application via the application tab titled “Additional Info.” Ensure the document file is not password protected and is in .doc, pdf or .txt format. Please note that special fonts and/or formats (italics, bold, etc.) may be lost during submission. Be sure to carefully proofread your statement prior to submission.
Resumes should include:
- Job titles and positions held, key responsibilities and accomplishments for each position, and salary history (optional)
- Honors, awards, certificates, professional organizations, volunteer activities and community involvement
- Computer skills, multilingual abilities and overseas travel or work experience
- Academic background, including schools attended and degrees earned
Answers to additional questions
You should be prepared with responses that describe what qualifies you to meet the W. P. Carey School of Business expectation that all new students have proficiency in using a computer spreadsheet, programming and college-level business calculus / statistics. Responses of 255 characters or less are required regarding two categories, (1) Computer Competency and (2) Calculus / Statistical Competency, and should include class number, course titles, grades, institution name, etc.