REIT Portfolio Practicum
The Real Estate Investment Trust ("REIT") Portfolio Course is a unique program designed for highly motivated students interested in gaining the skills necessary to make real estate portfolio investment decisions. This course provides hands-on, actual investment decision making experience in real estate underwriting along with real life experience of managing a REIT portfolio with real money.
REA 494/594 is a year- long (fall and spring semester) three (3) credit class.
In class engagement with industry professionals will provide students with an opportunity to learn about careers in the real estate industry such as: REIT investment management, running a public company and strategic roles within the commercial real estate industry.
This two semester course immerses students in the REIT industry by providing the following:
- Lectures regarding fundamental, in-depth analysis of real estate investment trusts.
- Team presentations of portfolio recommendations and portfolio progress reports.
- Exposure to guest speakers/industry experts allowing students to participate in direct interactions and networking.
Students will learn how to analyze the financial performance of publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITs), calculate various valuation metrics, and make investment decisions based on research using, among other sources, public company financial and management reports through the documents filed with the SEC. Students will be taught how to utilize both qualitative (e.g. market research) and quantitative (e.g. statistical modeling) analysis for making investment recommendations and decisions.
The REIT Portfolio Practicum, launched Fall of 2018 and is limited to 24 students – twelve (12) undergrad and twelve (12) graduate students. Students interested in this course must submit an application for enrollment. Applications for the Fall 2019 will be open February 21, 2019.
How to apply
Meet academic pre-requisites:
- REA 494 – W. P. Carey BS or BA student, OR Non-business students with minimum 56 earned hours and 3.0 ASU GPA. Must have completed: FIN 302 or FIN 303 or REA 456
- REA 594 – MRED Student or 2nd year MBA student
Submit application no later than April 15, 2019. No late applications will be accepted.
Application should consist of the following:
- Unofficial Transcript
- 1-2 page statement to include the following:
- Candidate's career goals and interest in fund management.
- Candidate's exposure to real estate and financial statement analysis.
- Candidate's academic and professional background that indicates what they would contribute to the fund (including quantitative skills).
Email complete application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: REIT Portfolio Practicum Application
Applications will be reviewed by the fund director and other advisors. Selection will be announced in late April.
For more information: https://research.wpcarey.asu.edu/real-estate/reit-portfolio-practicum/