Department of Finance - Online Application
Now that you have made the decision to pursue admission to the Ph. D. in Business Administration program with a specialization in finance, please follow the steps necessary to complete our online application . The program uses a Web-based application through Arizona State University Graduate Education Admissions . For questions about the application process, please visit the ASU Graduate Education Prospective Students Support Center .
Strong academic credentials, intellectual curiosity and commitment are important criteria for admission to the Ph.D. in Business Administration with a concentration in finance. The evaluation for admission is on a competitive basis. Candidates with previous work experience and a master’s degree are preferred.
The Department of Finance Ph.D. Admissions Committee reviews applications early each year and the selected students begin the doctoral program in the second summer session (beginning in July).
Application Deadlines and Elements
Applications can be submitted beginning September 9, and the deadline for receipt of all application materials is January 1 . Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to ensure ASU Graduate Education receipt of all elements by the deadline. The Graduate Education will notify applicants in writing of the Admissions Committee decisions. While there is no guarantee you will receive a response on or before a specific date, admission decisions are generally made by late March or early April. Note that application decisions may not be released by the Department of Finance via phone or e-mail; this information is provided only in writing and from the Graduate Education. Offers cannot be deferred to another year.
- The online application deadline is January 1.
- The supporting documents deadline is January 1.
- Admission is granted only for the program starting in the next upcoming second summer session (July of the current year).
- Offers cannot be deferred to another year.
It is critical that applicants comply with the January 1 deadline for applications and document receipt by the Graduate Education. The Department of Finance Ph.D. Admissions Committee cannot consider any applications received after this date. In addition, applications that are incomplete by the deadline cannot be considered (e.g., missing letters of recommendation, GRE / GMAT scores, or TOEFL and ASU Speak Test results for international students). The Department of Finance cannot provide any waivers for the TOEFL requirements. Please refer to the TOEFL Website for further information if you would like to request a TOEFL waiver through the Graduate Education.
Please do not send any application documents directly to the Department of Finance. All documents must be submitted through ASU Graduate Education.
Information for Prospective Students provides details about the items and information required in the application process.
Applicants for the Ph.D. program in Business Administration with a concentration in finance must submit the following to ASU Graduate Education. (Note that some elements will be provided or uploaded in the general sections of the online Graduate Education application and some will be provided or uploaded after selecting the Graduate Education application tabs titled "Supplemental" or "Additional Info.")
- Graduate Education online application
- GMAT or GRE score
- Official Transcripts from all previous institutions attended
- Letters of Recommendation – recommender contact information uploaded through the Graduate Education online application (via application tab titled “Supplemental”)
- Personal Statement & Career Objective – uploaded through the Graduate Education online application (via the application tab titled “Supplemental)
- Employment Summary / Resume – uploaded through the Graduate Education (supplemental application tab)
- Answers to additional questions about computer competency and calculus/statistical competency – entered through the Graduate Education online application (via the application tab titled “Additional Info”)
- Application fee
Additional Requirements for International Students
International students applying for doctoral program admission must submit additional information to the Graduate Education. International applicants must review and respond to the requirements provided in the Graduate Admissions Information for International Applicants information and further information for International Applicants on this site. This includes but is not limited to the following. (Submission of scores from the TSE (Test of Spoken English) or the SPEAK Test is required of all international applicants and cannot be waived.)
International applicants should be aware that if admitted they could be expected to provide the following, additional information: