Graduation requirements

To complete the Bachelor of Science degree in finance:

  • Students must complete a minimum of 120 hours of coursework; 30 hours must be in residence at the ASU Tempe campus.
  • A minimum of 51 hours must be upper-division (300-400 level) and a minimum of 54 hours must be general studies.
  • Students must earn a grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 or higher in all courses taken at ASU, all business courses taken at ASU and all upper-division major and major support courses in finance.
  • Major maps

Required finance courses

Finance majors study financial markets, the allocation of financial resources by individuals, corporations and other groups, and the tools financial managers use to make business decisions. Topics include corporate financial management, investment and security analysis, portfolio management, commercial banking, investment banking, insurance and risk management, personal finance, real estate, fixed-income securities, market derivatives, venture capital, entrepreneurship and international finance.

Finance students must earn 21 credit hours to complete the major. The following courses are required by all finance majors: FIN 302 or FIN 303, ACC 340, FIN 331, FIN 361, FIN 421 and FIN 461. Honors students may substitute FIN 303 for FIN 302 and FIN 361. To complete the 21-credit-hour requirement our students can select from the following courses: ACC 350, ACC 440, FIN 427, FIN 431, FIN 455, FIN 456, FIN 481, FIN 494 and certain omnibus occasional offerings from the department.

View the major map for understanding of the sequencing needed to complete the finance major.

View the complete list of courses offered by the Department of Finance.

Major proficiency requirements

Students must receive grades of "C" (2.00) or higher in upper-division courses for the major. If a student receives a grade below "C" in any course in the major, this course must be repeated before taking any further courses for which this course is a prerequisite. If a second grade below "C" is received in either an upper-division course in the major already taken or in a different upper-division course in the major, the student is no longer eligible to take upper-division courses in the major.