Research assistantships and internships
Students interested in pursuing a PhD or research-oriented career may benefit from completing a research assistantship after graduation and before applying for a graduate program. Below are recommended research assistantships, internships and other post-graduation employment with federal agencies, universities and think tanks.
- Each of the 12 Federal Reserve district banks and the Board of Governors offers Research Assistantships. Visit Fed Econ Jobs for more information.
- The International Monetary Fund hires research assistants for a limited two-year period through the Research Assistant Program.
- Those interested in international development may consider the World Bank WBG Analyst Program.
- Stanford Graduate School of Business offers a two-year full-time research fellowship program.
- Columbia Business School offers a pre-doctoral Research Associate position to assist with faculty research in the Accounting, Decision Risk & Operations, Finance and Economics (F&E), Management, and Marketing divisions.
- The National Bureau of Economics Research (NBER) provides various research assistantships, depending on available projects.
- The American Enterprise Institute offers internships to upper-classmen, recent graduates, and graduate students.
- The Brookings Institution offers summer and semester-long internships for current students, recent graduates, and master’s students.
- The Urban Institute, The Heritage Foundation, and The RAND Corporation may also have research assistant employment opportunities.
- The NBER compiles a list of research assistantships at other institutions.
- The United States Department of Labor has both an internship program for current students and a recent graduates program.
- The United States Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service offers internships and hires recent graduates.