Careers in accountancy
Accounting is the study of how businesses track their income and assets over time, yet accounting has transformed in recent years to become more than simply recording financial data. Accountants engage in a wide variety of activities including computing costs and efficiency gains from new technologies, creating strategies for mergers and acquisitions, quality management, developing and using information systems to track financial performance, tax strategy, and benefits management.
An accounting degree is in demand
With a degree in accounting your career choices are limitless. You can choose to work in assurance, consulting, corporate accounting/finance, financial analysis/venture capital, financial planning, non-for-profit/government and tax consulting services.
- Students who pursue a degree in accountancy should expect an industry that is expected to grow 11 percent from 2014-2024. (1)
- The national average starting salary for graduates ranges from $45,000 to $55,000. (2)
- The average starting salary for an ASU accounting graduate is $51,707. (3)
(1) U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook
(2) National Association of Colleges and Employers Salary Survey
(3) W. P. Carey School of Business - Graduate Survey July 2021