Department of Finance - Investment Management Fund
Investment Management Fund
The W. P. Carey MBA Investment Management Fund (SIM Fund) was established in 1996 by the Department of Finance at Arizona State University. Initial contributions to the fund were provided by generous private donors and the ASU Foundation Endowment Fund.
The goal of the SIM Fund is to provide participating MBA students with practical, hands-on experience in portfolio management and securities analysis while they earn credit towards their degrees. In addition, students are exposed to other aspects of money management, including various administrative duties. A team of students is selected each year through a competitive process. Team members actively manage the fund during the second year of their MBA program.
The portfolio of investments represents a diverse collection of investment vehicles, ranging from equities to fixed-income securities. Equity investments cover companies that extend across many industries.
Fund Advisory Board Presentations
A Fund Advisory Board composed of investment professionals oversees the SIM Fund, and twice a year the students present reports to the board that include fund performance and rationale for fund decisions and management. Here are links to full presentations for the 2008-2016 academic year reports:
- April 2016 Presentation – MBA
- December 2015 Presentation – MBA
- May 2015 Presentation – MBA
- December 2014 Presentation – MBA
- April 2014 Presentation – MBA
- December 2013 Presentation – MBA
- April 2013 Presentation – MBA
- December 2012 Presentation - MBA
- April 2012 Presentation - MBA
- December 2011 Presentation - MBA
- April 2011 Presentation - MBA
- December 2010 Presentation - MBA
- April 2010 Presentation - MBA
- December 2009 Presentation - MBA
- May 2009 Presentation - MBA
- December 2008 Presentation - MBA
How to Get Involved*
Generally, MBA students who have earned second-year status by the fall of enrollment are eligible for consideration. Applications may be submitted for the 2016-2017 academic year only between February 2 and March 18, 2016. No late applications will be accepted. Interested students should e-mail the following application materials to email@example.com with the subject line MBA SIM Fund Application :
- Unofficial transcript
- 1-2 page statement to include the following:
- Brief statement of candidate's career goals and interest in fund involvement
- Summary of candidate's academic and professional background that indicates what the person would contribute to the fund (including quantitative skills)
Applications will be reviewed by the fund director and current fund members. Selection will be announced in late April.
* NOTE : Interested students should continue to monitor this website for any alterations to qualifications and/or requirements prior to submitting their applications.